Waterloo Dock AFC Waterloo Dock AFC Waterloo Dock AFC
Bookmark and Share


Waterloo Dock Football Club were established in 1963 and entered the Liverpool Business Houses League Second Division for the 1963-64 season. After just three seasons the fledgling club finished runners-up in 1965-66 and in following campaign won promotion to the First Division as Second Division champions. Twelve months on and a further promotion was achieved when the First Division title was won along with the Liverpool Business Houses Senior Cup.
In their first season in the Premier Division, 1968-69, Waterloo Dock finished runners-up and also collected the NDLB Newlands Cup. 1969-70 was to be the clubs last season in the Liverpool Business Houses League and they achieved the ‘double’, winning both the Premier Division championship and the Liverpool Business Houses Senior Cup.
Without doubt Waterloo Dock have one of the finest records of any club at County League level in the North West of England. On joining the Liverpool County Combination in the 1970-71 season, they won promotion at the first time of asking, when winning the Second Division championship and went on to complete the league and cup double when taking the Fred Micklesfield Cup for good measure. The club was to embark on a journey of unparalleled success over the next few years when they hardly missed a season without winning something or other.
Indeed, this was the start an amazing 34 year spell in the top flight of the Liverpool County Combination when the club was to win the First Division championship no less than twelve times and finish as runners-up on a further ten occasions.
After finishing runners-up in 1972-73, when finishing just three points adrift of eventual champions Langton, the Edinburgh Park club took the title two years later, finishing 7 points ahead of second placed Ainsdale. The league and cup double was achieved when the George Mahon Cup was collected along the way. This feat was to be repeated in the following campaign but this time accompanied by the Liverpool FA Amateur Cup.
The 1976-77 season was to see Waterloo Dock finish as First Division runners-up. However, to console themselves, they won both the Fred Micklesfield Cup and the Liverpool County FA Challenge Cup. The First Division crown was again lifted in the next two seasons with the George Mahon Cup won in 1977-78.
The championship was won for the fifth time in 1980-81 and the George Mahon Cup lifted for the fourth time in 1982-83. Runners up position was accomplished in both 1984-85 and 1985-86 before the championship and George Mahon Cup once again filled the Edinburgh Park trophy cabinet in the following campaign. After another runners-up spot in 1987-88, the Dockers enjoyed their 7th championship success in the following term and once again won the Liverpool County FA Challenge Cup. They retained the title in 1989-90. The George Mahon Cup was taken in 1991-92 and the club had to wait three years before silverware was once again won in 1994-95 when the League Cup was taken and the Liverpool County FA Challenge Cup was lifted. In the league that season the Dockers had to be content with the runners-up medals.
They were First Division runners-up again in 1995-96 but the George Mahon Cup was won and in the following season the championship was taken and the George Mahon Cup retained.
The Liverpool County FA Challenge Cup was won in 1998-99 before a tenth league title was achieved in the following year. Waterloo Dock began the new millennium as runners-up in the First Division but the George Mahon Cup was taken for the 9th time. Two seasons later in 2002-03 the runners-up spot was gained and the Lord Wavertree Cup was won for the first and only time.
In the following season Waterloo Dock once again won the championship along with the Liverpool County FA Challenge Cup but in the following term the club did even better. The championship flag was raised for the 12th and final time, the George Mahon Cup was won for the 10th and final time along with the Lord Mayor’s Charity Shield and the Liverpool County FA Cup was retained.
In the final season of the Liverpool County Combination, Waterloo Dock finished runners-up behind eventual champions Speke, but retained both the Lord Mayor’s Charity Shield and the Liverpool County FA Challenge Cup which was lifted for the third time on the bounce.
The Liverpool County Combination merged with the 1 Zingari League to form the new Liverpool County Premier League at Step-7 in the National league System for the start of the 2006-07 season and Waterloo Dock, true to form, dominated the new set up, wining the Premier Division title in each of the first three seasons.
The club was accepted into the prestigious Liverpool Senior Cup in 2006-07 and the club fought their way past AFC Liverpool, Tranmere Rovers and Burscough in the 2008-09 season to become the first side from the Liverpool County Premier League to reach the final. Facing a Liverpool Reserves side containing a star-studded international brigade of Rafael Benitez’s finest young talent, many would have been surprised the Dock were only sunk by a late goal from Krisztian Nemeth after matching Gary Ablett’s side for most of the game. Their gallant efforts seemed to have been ignored at Walton Hall Park though after the Liverpool County FA axed Waterloo Dock and all clubs from their level from competing in this season’s Senior Cup competition.
The County FA claim that their decision was down to ‘ground criteria’ but because their Edinburgh Park ground on Townsend Lane does not have floodlights, Waterloo Dock played their ‘home’ tie with Tranmere Rovers at Bootle.
The Senior Cup is one of Merseyside’s most historic football competitions dating back to 1883 and featured the first Everton v Liverpool derby in 1892. The tournament was opened up to ‘grass roots’ clubs at Waterloo’s level when the Liverpool County Premier League was formed in 2006.
It was confirmed by the Football Association in November 2008 that Waterloo Dock Club Manager Jimmy Davies was the longest ever serving football manager recorded in the country after he had chalked up 45 years in the job. A former Liverpool docker, Jimmy was 21 years old when he and some fellow workers founded the club in 1963 shortly after starting work on the Liverpool docks. Jimmy soon realised that his skills lay not as a player but in organising the team – and he’s been in charge ever since. No-one in the country can match his mammoth reign. Until recently the record was held by another Merseysider, Roly Howard, whose 33-year tenure as manager of Marine is well documented.

After winning the new Liverpool County Premier league championship in the first year Waterloo have completely dominated and after another success this season have now won the league title on 4 consecutive occasions which is a record for both club and league.

© Waterloo Dock AFC 2017

Designed and developed by ditdat.net